For History we had to answer a few questions about The League of Nations in the 1920´s. Here are the questions. And below, the answers.
1. To discourage aggression from any nation, to encourage countries to co-operate especially in business and trade, to encourage nations to disarm and to improve the living and working conditions of people in all parts of the world.
2. He needed the approval from his congress but nobody voted for it. Different groups put up a powerful opposition to the League. Those groups were joined by political enemies of Wilson.
3. Because they didn´t liked to pay reparations and accept the war guilt.
4. They said that they wanted to “return to normalcy” , to be isolated, not to get involved in European affairs.
5. Americans believed in freedom. They opposed the idea of safe-guarding French or British colonies, because they would have had to do it.
6. Because the population was largely Polish. France and Britain should have forced Poland to set Vilna free but France saw Poland as a possible future ally against Germany so she wasn´t ready to upset her. And Britain wasn´t ready to act alone, so no one did.
7. Because it was an industrial region.
8. “In the end the League did nothing. The Poles kept Vilna.”
9. The League studied the matter closely and decided that the Aaland Islands should go to Finland.
10. Because he was furious because of what happened to the Italian general, Tellini, he was killed and all his troops.
11. Because the members of the League changed and ignored the League´s ruling.
12. Before putting the Geneva Protocol in action, there was a general conference in Britain in which the new Conservative government refused to sign it because they thought that Britain could be “forced to sign something that is not on her own interests”. What Britain thought, weakened the League because now countries were afraid.
13. Because there was an incident in the border in which some Greek soldiers were killed.
14. Maybe because big countries such as Italy had some privileges that smaller countries such as Greece didn´t have.