In Biology we started a new topic: Cholera. Here is a task Make gave us and there we have some questions we must answer. These ones:
1) Name signs/symptoms caused by cholera. Diarrhoea (sign), vomiting (sign), feeling sick (symptom), high temperature (sign), irregular heart-beats (sign), dehydration (sign).
2) State ways in which the bacterium spreads in the village. The bacteria(Vibrio cholerae) spreads because of flies (agents) that transport it, because non-purified water also transport it, shaking hands that are not clean, not washing hands before and after eating or going to the bathroom…
3) What is diarrhoea? Diarrhoea is a sign caused by cholera that may give you a hint that you are suffering from this disease.
4) How does the cholera bacterium cause diarrhoea? The cholera bacteria which lives and breeds in the small intestine produces a toxin that stimulates the cells lining the intestine to secrete chloride ions. Then the ions accumulate in the lumen of the small intestine and increase the concentration of the fluid in the lumen lowering its water potential. When this water potential becomes lower than the one of the blood flowing through the vessels in the wall of the intestine, water moves out of the blood into the lumen of intestine by osmosis. So large quantities of water are lost from the body in the watery faces.
5) How did the boy treated his father? He filtrated and cleaned the water because at 100°C the bacteria’s enzymes become denatured and they die. He also added salt to the water in order to give the minerals back. Then he made his father drink it to calm dehydration and soon he got better.
6) Name the different actions which the boy taught to the people in the village to prevent the disease.Clean and filtrate water, wash hands, wash food before cooking and make sure that it boils, eat hot…
“The Woodspurge” and “Continuum” have a lot of things in common related with the structure and also literary terms and ideas. Both have enjambment meaning disorganization, due to the fact that both voices’ states of mind are tormented, confused, disturbed.
Also, in both poems nature inspire the voice. In “Woodspurge” the voice enters in a state of “rebirth” thanks to a woodspurge which is a plant which is nature. And in “Continuum” the voice gets inspired by the moon which also symbolizes nature. Both are helped by nature and find strength in it.
Finally, both carry Religious thoughts and themes. In the poem by Rossetti “the woodspurge has a cup of three” and the number three symbolizes religion, God, relating it to the Saint Trinity. And in the poem by Allen Curnow the voice got inspired by the sky which symbolizes Heaven, God, Religion. And also, the poem has seven stanzas so by the seventh stanza he had finished the work (the poem) he had been doing, so he rested. Just like God who “By the seventh day […] had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.” Genesis 2:2
In Literature we finished reading and analysing The Rain Horse, a short story by Ted Hughes. The following here is a task we had to do after reading it. And the following is a Prezi which we can use to study the story and help deepen our analysis.