In Biology we are studying Diseases. Diseases are caused by microbes called Pathogens. The following is a video explaining some of them. VIDEO
Archivo de la categoría: ac2015
Essay Writing Tips To Be Successful
Surfing on Pato’s blog I found these essay writing tips to be successful, They are useful for the IGCSE exam and for during the year too.
Diarrhoea and Cholera
In Biology we started a new topic: Cholera. Here is a task Make gave us and there we have some questions we must answer. These ones:
1) Name signs/symptoms caused by cholera. Diarrhoea (sign), vomiting (sign), feeling sick (symptom), high temperature (sign), irregular heart-beats (sign), dehydration (sign).
2) State ways in which the bacterium spreads in the village. The bacteria(Vibrio cholerae) spreads because of flies (agents) that transport it, because non-purified water also transport it, shaking hands that are not clean, not washing hands before and after eating or going to the bathroom…
3) What is diarrhoea? Diarrhoea is a sign caused by cholera that may give you a hint that you are suffering from this disease.
4) How does the cholera bacterium cause diarrhoea? The cholera bacteria which lives and breeds in the small intestine produces a toxin that stimulates the cells lining the intestine to secrete chloride ions. Then the ions accumulate in the lumen of the small intestine and increase the concentration of the fluid in the lumen lowering its water potential. When this water potential becomes lower than the one of the blood flowing through the vessels in the wall of the intestine, water moves out of the blood into the lumen of intestine by osmosis. So large quantities of water are lost from the body in the watery faces.
5) How did the boy treated his father? He filtrated and cleaned the water because at 100°C the bacteria’s enzymes become denatured and they die. He also added salt to the water in order to give the minerals back. Then he made his father drink it to calm dehydration and soon he got better.
6) Name the different actions which the boy taught to the people in the village to prevent the disease. Clean and filtrate water, wash hands, wash food before cooking and make sure that it boils, eat hot…
Crea tu propio PIC.TO.LIGHT® con este genial tutorial!!!!
Booktube #2 «The Bluest Eye»
In our Language subject we read books every term. This term I had the chance to read «The Bluest Eye» by Toni Morrison. If you’d like to know what the book is about here is my review.
In Literature we finished reading and analysing the poem «Continuum» by Allen Curnow and Pato provided us with this slide-share to help us reflect and think.
The Rain Horse
In Literature we finished reading and analysing The Rain Horse, a short story by Ted Hughes. The following here is a task we had to do after reading it. And the following is a Prezi which we can use to study the story and help deepen our analysis.
HUMAN ALIMENTARY CANAL: Chemical digestion
The following is a video from which we can study the chemical digestion.
HUMAN ALIMENTARY CANAL: Structures and mechanical digestion
In Biology we have been studying Human Digestion. The following is a slide-share from which we can study the structures of the alimentary canal and the mechanical digestion.